Problem with 'Castle Quest' game + SDcard only needs to be 'Slow Formatted' once.

Higgy
Contactar:

Problem with 'Castle Quest' game + SDcard only needs to be 'Slow Formatted' once.

Mensaje por Higgy » 13 Ene 2017, 09:09

Hello,

I am trying out the BBC Micro (the 2nd computer I used at school after ZX Spectrum 16K!).

The game Castle Quest does not work :( There is a version on the BBC.MMB that seems to be everywhere on the Internet. This version of Castle Quest is on a Compilation Disc and when you load it crashes with:

at line 40
>

I added another version (single disc) to the .MMC . It get past the title screen then just shows a empty background. Looking on the Internet there was a comment from an Emulator (BeebEm) where they say:

Version 0.71 (Mike Wyatt)
------------
Changed VIA timer latches initial value to 0xffff (Castle Quest now works).

I am not sure if that helps the Core?

Also this modern adventure works :okidoki; :

http://www.indieretronews.com/2017/01/t ... pooky.html

Also everytime I have been making a new BBC.MMB I have been slow formatting my SDcard. You don't need to do this. Just delete the old .MMB and copy the new one across!

I can't yet work out how to edit the menu of the .MMB so I have been using MMBImager to add the new Disc's to say Slot 300. Then boot ZX-Uno. Type *DIN 300 to 'mount the disc at slot 300' then *CAT to read the contents of the disc, then usually you type *EXEC !BOOT to load :chocala!:

bakoulis

Re: Problem with 'Castle Quest' game + SDcard only needs to be 'Slow Formatted' once.

Mensaje por bakoulis » 13 Ene 2017, 18:35

Have you tested other games?
I have tested some games and most works well, but some other have graphic glitches.

Higgy
Contactar:

Re: Problem with 'Castle Quest' game + SDcard only needs to be 'Slow Formatted' once.

Mensaje por Higgy » 13 Ene 2017, 20:05

Yes I have tried quite a few other games and have had good success.

bakoulis

Mensaje por bakoulis » 13 Ene 2017, 20:21

Some games with blue or yellow background have had graphic glitches. I don't remember which, because I haven't ZXUno to my hands. I am waiting for a replacement board and I don't know if the graphic glitches was from my faulty SPI flash or because the core is incomplete.

Higgy
Contactar:

Mensaje por Higgy » 26 Ene 2017, 23:19

Hi,

It looks like the fault was to do with timers.
A member of Stardot.org found and fixed the issue for me. The 'BeebFPGA' Core now has the fix applied https://github.com/hoglet67/BeebFpga/co ... d8c6741bfd

Can someone please release a new ZX-Uno BBC Core with the fix :D

A soft fix is the following patch: ?&FE69=&FF

"It turns out Castle Quest relies on the power up settings of the 6522 timer latches for correct operation, and the 6522 VHDL model in BeebFPGA had these set incorrectly."

Thanks

Quest

Mensaje por Quest » 26 Ene 2017, 23:33

Higgy escribió:Hi,

It looks like the fault was to do with timers.
A member of Stardot.org found and fixed the issue for me. The 'BeebFPGA' Core now has the fix applied https://github.com/hoglet67/BeebFpga/co ... d8c6741bfd

Can someone please release a new ZX-Uno BBC Core with the fix :D

A soft fix is the following patch: ?&FE69=&FF

"It turns out Castle Quest relies on the power up settings of the 6522 timer latches for correct operation, and the 6522 VHDL model in BeebFPGA had these set incorrectly."

Thanks
Thank you for the report. I'll check the fix and will update the core :)
http://www.zxuno.com
ZX-Uno · Clon de ordenador ZX Spectrum basado en FPGA

bakoulis

Mensaje por bakoulis » 27 Ene 2017, 00:24

Thank you for the update!

Quest

Mensaje por Quest » 14 Feb 2017, 16:19

Actualizado core BBC Micro

- Solucionado problema con juego Castle Quest reportado por Higgy (thanks ;))
- Añadido soporte de joystick en el puerto 1. Conectar josystick compatible Atari/SMS/MD al puerto DB9. (Emula Joy analógico).
- Sustituidos relojes por 2 DCMs más precisos. Ahora la sincro vertical va a 50Hz exactos.

Ya está actualizado en el repo:

http://svn.zxuno.com/svn/zxuno/stable/b ... /COREX.ZX1
(User: guest / Pass: zxuno)
http://www.zxuno.com
ZX-Uno · Clon de ordenador ZX Spectrum basado en FPGA

Vanfanel

Mensaje por Vanfanel » 14 Feb 2017, 17:26

Increíble, Quest. JUSTO venía a preguntar por el core actualizado, te lo juro.
Gracias tio! Voy a darle caña al Castle Quest un rato antes de seguir estudiando...

Vanfanel

Mensaje por Vanfanel » 14 Feb 2017, 18:03

@Quest: Lo acabo de probar y el Castle Quest aún da el error "at line 40". ¿Seguro que lo has actualizado en el repo? Algo falla aquí.

EDITO: El error "at line 40" es debido a algo del sistema de ficheros que usa el MMB, no es cosa del core.
La movida entonces es cómo meter el dichoso Castle Quest, una versión que funcione, en un MMB. Lo he intentado con el mmb Imager usando WINE (no tengo Windows) y me salen caracteres chungos en las entradas del MMB.
Última edición por Vanfanel el 14 Feb 2017, 18:12, editado 1 vez en total.

Responder