DivGMX

Otras placas, clones o aparatos basados en FPGA / Oher FPGA based clones/devices/boards
kgmcneil

Re: DivGMX

Mensaje por kgmcneil » 14 Nov 2018, 00:12

Looking forward to trying it out!... Thanks Vlad!!!!... :)

kgmcneil

Mensaje por kgmcneil » 19 Nov 2018, 06:12

Sorry about the mess up earlier with the name on the money order Vlad - Iv have finally managed to cancel that order and have now resent your money, with a new transfer via Western Union. Please read your PM for the tracking code and details... Thanks again for your patience... Regards... Karl

kgmcneil

YAY!... I have it!!!

Mensaje por kgmcneil » 30 Ene 2019, 10:13

I finally have your package!!!...

I have installed it into the ZX Evo successfully!...
Beeper is having a few issues, but otherwise the other features seem to work with your pre-configured firmware so far... General sound is very impressive... SAA works but is very quiet, and Iv seen turbosound working quite well, although it messes up the low notes for some reason... Not sure whether the minor issues are ZX Evo related or what, especially since this system is running the basic configuration with a 60mhz monitor rather than 50mhz... Still, I have to say, I am very happy with it - its quite impressive work, and certainly adds to my gaming and musical experience... I am going to do some more experiments before I change anything else with this set up, but even so, I would definitely recommend it to others... :)

weirdocollector

Re: YAY!... I have it!!!

Mensaje por weirdocollector » 30 Ene 2019, 16:23

kgmcneil escribió:I finally have your package!!!...

I have installed it into the ZX Evo successfully!...
Beeper is having a few issues, but otherwise the other features seem to work with your pre-configured firmware so far... General sound is very impressive... SAA works but is very quiet, and Iv seen turbosound working quite well, although it messes up the low notes for some reason... Not sure whether the minor issues are ZX Evo related or what, especially since this system is running the basic configuration with a 60mhz monitor rather than 50mhz... Still, I have to say, I am very happy with it - its quite impressive work, and certainly adds to my gaming and musical experience... I am going to do some more experiments before I change anything else with this set up, but even so, I would definitely recommend it to others... :)
HI!

Did you just put the DivGMX into one of the ZX Evo slot?

How do you interact with it from the ZX Evo user interface?

Thanks!

kgmcneil

Mensaje por kgmcneil » 30 Ene 2019, 23:07

To weirdocollector:

I have the DivGMX slotted into ZXBus 1 on the EVO. The card itself is actually shorter than the full length of the Evo's ZXBus slot, but it fits nicely. I have the card shifted towards the back of the Evo (closer to the output sockets) in the ZX Bus, orientated with the video socket and sound socket of the card pointing towards the back end. I didn't find any info on how to install it, so looked up the ZX Bus image on a video of the card installed on a ZX Phoenix and made an educated guess!!...

As for how to use it, it doesn't interface directly with the Basic user interface at this point (I'm not using it as a NEoGS right now, but as a General Sound card combined with the SAA and TurboSound card)... I think the user interface in the basic setup of the Evo only allows you to reset the NeoGS card anyway, so you wouldn't be relying on that for playing anything anyway (Perhaps the TS-Lab configuration has more options for NeoGS cards, which you might be thinking of?).

To use the card, I'm running a range of different programs... I am running it through demos, games, and a few dedicated editors and players - there is a lot out there on the internet, if you look up General sound... https://vtrd.in/ has some interesting software. Since I am not a programmer, I am relying on available editors and music players for the Evo to interface with the card (they usually find it without any configuration, although if used as a SoundDrive, Iv some times been asked which port its on, but it depends on the software your running).

It this point, I have speakers plugged directly into the card, and the main Evo sound output plugged into my monitor, so effectively have two sound output systems. The main Evo outputs the AY, and Beeper (when it works), while the General sound, SAA and other sound engines output the card directly...

I'm still finding out what works and what does not at this stage, but overall, Im quite satisfied...

weirdocollector

Mensaje por weirdocollector » 01 Feb 2019, 14:19

Thanks!

Could you provide a photo of your ZX Slot with the DivGMX mounted ?

Thanks again.

kgmcneil

Mensaje por kgmcneil » 02 Feb 2019, 09:15

You'll have to forgive my photography, but after the 2nd failed attempt with a bad camera, I did get a few shots. Iv zipped them up and put them on drop box to be downloaded here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v9gvlesi0f882 ... X.zip?dl=1

They should at least give you an idea of where the DivGMX card is plugged in, and how it is shifted all the way up to the back towards the rear of the motherboard.
I don't know anyone else round here with a ZX Evo, and haven't heard of anyone using this card for the Evo, so information on its positioning of where to plug it in wasn't available when I installed it...
I am having issues with the beeper, which persist now even when the card isn't plugged in, so I don't know if damage has occurred or not. I vaguely recall reading somewhere that the Evo is prone to a sound issue, which is known, that involves soldering a resister or some such job to fix it, but the details escape me right now, and I don't know if that issue is relevant or not to what I am seeing now - in other words, that issue might not be related to the card, but at this stage, I just don't know...

Related or not though, I am still in awe of what this card can do... All those Youtube videos of General Sound games are a reality for me now... Renegade with general sound is pretty cool... ;)

weirdocollector

Mensaje por weirdocollector » 02 Feb 2019, 13:27

Thanks!!!

kgmcneil

Confirmed: DIV_GMX works FINE with the ZX Evo!

Mensaje por kgmcneil » 04 Feb 2019, 18:05

Iv just figured out what was causing my beeper sound problem, and it was not the DivGMX card!... Iv just sent this email to Vlad, and want it on record that this card works fine with the ZX Evo... My sound problem was due to an Evo feature triggered by a hotkey that I didn't know about that turns the Beeper output off and redirects it to the Tape port (key NumLock)!...

I therefore whole-heatedly recommend this product to other users out there who might also be thinking about this for their systems...

Note to any other ZX Evo users out there, if your beeper system goes down, like mine did, try hitting the NumLock key before you remove any of your chips from the main board!!!!... ;)

Karl
:)
=========================
TO: Vlad:
Yay!!!... I have just figured out what the sound problem was with my ZX Evo and it has nothing to do with your marvellous Div_GMX card, and everything to do with a little known hotkey function and my stupidity!!!...

That means, my sound problem isn't a problem with your card and everything is now working 100% perfectly!...

That means, this card is TOTALLY compatible with the ZX Evo with no problems...

I just thought you should know, and I will be passing this on to others who might also be thinking of buying this,

Many regards,

Karl
:)

vlad

Mensaje por vlad » 21 Mar 2019, 15:40

Para los que preguntaron, soldaron varias placas DivGMX.

Responder