Unified configuration between boot and cores

Discursiones en general sobre el proyecto que no tienen cabida en otro foro / General discussion for uncateorized topics about the ZX-Uno project
Responder
zboszor1

Unified configuration between boot and cores

Mensaje por zboszor1 » 07 Dic 2016, 10:55

Hi,

I noticed that when I use the VGA output, I need to press Scroll Lock multiple times during boot.
E.g. the boot firmware starts in Composite mode, I quickly press Esc or Caps Lock to select the boot menu and stop booting into the ZX Spectrum core.
I press Scroll Lock to switch to VGA so I can see what's going on.
When I select a core to boot and press Enter, the core switches back to Composite so I need to press Scroll Lock again to see the screen.
Can't we have a configuration space (I/O port or memory byte in the FPGA or some small part of the Flash memory) to save the current state?
That way all cores would then use this configuration and use the current screen mode to boot in. It would be more user friendly.

Some other configuration may also be unified across the boot firmware and the cores, the developers may know more about this.
E.g. I noticed that some cores don't use Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to reset, e.g. the BBC Micro core. Can we unify that too?

antoniovillena

Re: Unified configuration between boot and cores

Mensaje por antoniovillena » 07 Dic 2016, 13:12

zboszor1 escribió:Hi,

I noticed that when I use the VGA output, I need to press Scroll Lock multiple times during boot.
E.g. the boot firmware starts in Composite mode, I quickly press Esc or Caps Lock to select the boot menu and stop booting into the ZX Spectrum core.
I press Scroll Lock to switch to VGA so I can see what's going on.
When I select a core to boot and press Enter, the core switches back to Composite so I need to press Scroll Lock again to see the screen.
Can't we have a configuration space (I/O port or memory byte in the FPGA or some small part of the Flash memory) to save the current state?
That way all cores would then use this configuration and use the current screen mode to boot in. It would be more user friendly.
Yes. You must enter into BIOS (F2), Advanced, Video output and select VGA to do it permanent.
zboszor1 escribió: Some other configuration may also be unified across the boot firmware and the cores, the developers may know more about this.
E.g. I noticed that some cores don't use Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to reset, e.g. the BBC Micro core. Can we unify that too?
We try to unify all. In this case the change is done. You must have an old version of he BBC core.
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=483

Responder