Unhappy Funder

Discursiones en general sobre el proyecto que no tienen cabida en otro foro / General discussion for uncateorized topics about the ZX-Uno project
corgi74

Unhappy Funder

Mensaje por corgi74 » 25 May 2016, 20:10

Don't know if anyone feels the same but I'm really pissed off over how the ZX-UNO in being handled. I ordered mine on the Verkami crowdfunding in March and have heard nothing since. This week people who didn't go through the crowdfunding are getting the ones they ordered directly from the president of ZX-UNO who is knocking them out on the side! It's a joke.
What would have happened when the original Speccy came out and was on a 3 month backorder but you could jump the queue if you ordered one directly from Clive Sinclair?
If you are part of the management team you have a duty to fulfil the crowdfunding orders first. Perhaps you should have offered those ones as a premium level on the original Verkami campaign.
Wish I'd not bothered now as the Next looks soooooo much better.

antoniovillena

Re: Unhappy Funder

Mensaje por antoniovillena » 25 May 2016, 20:48

Hello. I am the responsible. I am part of the ZX-Uno team and also I am selling privately another batch of ZX-Uno. There are different batches. I put my own money in advance to buy it. The rest of the team is not agree with my decision to sell before the crowdfunding, but I have spent almost 4000 EUR and I must recover. In my case it's like a business, if I don't sell now, nobody can guarantee I can sell after the crowd. The project is totally open source, anybody can build and sell from 3 years ago when we've launched the first prototype. I can sell you, if you want, but you will have also the crowdfunding one in September becase they are different batches bought with different money. My batch with my money and the crowdfunding batch with the money of the backers.

corgi74

Mensaje por corgi74 » 25 May 2016, 21:03

They probably didn't agree as they thought it's really unprofessional and disrespectful of the people that took part in the crowdfunding and they'd be right.
Please explain to me what bonus the crowdfunders have now other than paying 5 Eur more for a pretty shipping box and receiving the item 3 months later?

jsj

Mensaje por jsj » 25 May 2016, 21:47

I wasn't aware of this "private" batch. But now that I know about it I'm very upset of this decision. Mainly because the same person who is making this batch, is telling other people not to make alternative batches of ZX-UNOs before the crowdfunders starts to receive theirs.

I don't undestand this decision. :roll:

corgi74

Mensaje por corgi74 » 25 May 2016, 21:51

Do as I say not as I do. Mainly because you might affect my profits.

Hernan

Mensaje por Hernan » 25 May 2016, 22:24

Sinceramente estoy muy decepcionado con esto. Creo que se traicionó la confianza de los backers.

antoniovillena

Mensaje por antoniovillena » 25 May 2016, 22:47

I'll try to tell more detailed. After the crowdfunding campaign ends we had a problem. All 250 ZX-Unos were sold in only 6 hours. So my initial plan was to launch a little batch of 40 pieces with the rest of the components I had from prototypes to the same company that will assemble the crowdfunding ones. We will assemble these 40 extra pieces with the 250 boards of the crowdfunding campaing, but always with separate business (I'll pay separately the components and the assembly and sell then the ZX-Unos on my own). So far so good, because the assembly of the 290 boards were simultaneuos and never I'll sell before the crowdfunding.

After a while there were many complaints about people that wants a ZX-Uno and cannot buy I thought that these 40 extra ZX-Uno won't cover the real demand, so I've decided to ask prices to a PCBA China supplier to make 100 ZX-Unos. Of course at this time in Spain the pirate ZX-Unos were sold on ebay at price of 150 EUR. With prices in the hand I've asked the rest of the ZX-Uno team about this 100 ZX-Unos. They wanted to wait to September (the planned delivery time) to buy these chinese ZX-Unos. Of course all these business were paid with my own money, I never take borrowed money of the crowdfunding cash to do this. I ignored the advice of the rest of ZX-Uno team and started the procedures to buy in China. I've paid the half of the money in advance, and the other half after I receive the samples. My plan was these ZX-Uno were ready to send at the same time or a little before the crowdfunding ones. In this case I'll wait to send first the ZX-Unos ones, and after I advertise and sell my own ZX-Unos.

As you can imagine the plans were not fulfilled. I have 100 ZX-Unos available 4 months before the crowdfunding ones. If the project were closed (as Next or any such project) there is no problem to wait, because no company can clone something that has not gone. But ZX-Uno is different. Every detail of the design is public, not only the gerber files, also the original Eagle. So in 4 months can happend many things that can put risk my investiment. Yes friend, it's a question of money. As member of the association I want to care the wellness of the backers, but as a business man that has invested money I want the return of my money. In this conflict of interest I've choosed the second. I am aware of the damage that this causes, and if someway finds the way I can compensate the backers I'll do what I can.

This is a summary of the story. It's more complex that seems. I don't want to affect the reputation of the rest of the team but I know it's impossible. My plans are continue with the development of the ZX-Uno. If I must to leave the association or the team I will continue working to the project. And my main goal is to keep it always open source, as open source as now. I think this is the only way that we can enjoy a spectrum clone as this price or lower. My hope is that within a few years everyone can buy a ZX-Uno on aliexpress by 30 EUR shipping included.

Of course I admit that I'm not doing things right and I understand that hackers can be very pissed off. I'm sorry.

corgi74

Mensaje por corgi74 » 25 May 2016, 22:53

So in summary the Verkami was more popular than you expected you thought you can make some extra money here from the people who couldn't get one through the crowdfunding so you went of on your own knowing you would upset a lot of people but you didn't care because it was easy profit.

antoniovillena

Mensaje por antoniovillena » 25 May 2016, 23:34

Como han preguntado en inglés he contestado en inglés (todo lo que puede mi reducido vocabulario) primero. Lo repito en español.

Antes de nada decir que la tirada que estoy vendiendo fuera de España no tiene nada que ver con la del ZX-Uno. La he pagado con mi dinero y la he pedido por otra vía. Con las del crowd pedimos los componentes en aliexpress (todavía faltan unos pocos por reciber) y montamos en España, mientras que la que he hecho por mi cuenta se encarga directamente a una empresa china y ellos lo hacen todo (compran componentes, fabrican las PCBs y montan).

Ante la gran demanda que tuvo el ZX-Uno en el momento del crowd y como he hecho con los prototipos, se me ocurrió sacar por mi cuenta ZX-Unos adicionales para vender después del crowd. Como ya tenía stock sobrante de los prototipos, el plan era pedir los componentes que faltaban para completar 40 ZX-Unos y montarlos en el mismo lote que los 250 del crowd (misma empresa montadora). Hasta aquí todo bien.

La cosa empezó a liarse luego. A medida que pasaba el tiempo y ante la avalancha de gente que se quedó fuera, me di cuenta que esos 40 ZX-Unos no eran suficientes, así que me dio por preguntar precios a una empresa China para 100 unidades, fue más que nada por tantear. Donde trabajaba estaba en contacto continuamente con proveedores chinos vía Skype, así que estaba familiarizado. Y a esta empresa en concreto ya le había pedido presupuestos anteriormente (para mi empresa, claro, no para mi). En aquel momento yo tenía el dinero y lo vi bien de precio, los componentes eran más caros que los del crowd, pero se compensaba con la PCB y el ensamblado, así que más o menos me salía al mismo precio que las del crowd, así que decidí seguir adelante con el trato.

Alguno pensará, ¿por qué pedir a china las del crowd si salen antes y al mismo precio?. No es tan fácil. Contratar un servicio fuera de España es un riesgo. Las cosas pueden salir mal y aunque te digan un presupuesto luego suelen haber percances, lo digo por experiencia. Yo por ahora estoy teniendo suerte. He tenido un fallo grave en la PCB, que me ha costado $1 por placa arreglarlo (hay un puente en la parte de abajo), pero me salía más barato que tirar a la basura 100 PCBs y fabricar otras 100. Tampoco me han enviado todo el lote, porque una parte de ellas tenían errores. Pero confío en que todo esto se solucionará. Por eso desde el primer momento decidimos ir a lo seguro que es comprar los componentes por nuestra cuenta y buscar una empresa española que nos haga el montaje. Preferimos no jugar con el dinero de los backers.

Lo que hablé con el resto del equipo (ellos han estado al tanto en todo momento) fue pedir estas placas chinas y no venderlas hasta después de que repartamos las del crowd. Al fin y al cabo había empezado a pedirlas después y el proceso suele ser lento con envío de muestras de por medio. Tampoco me costaba mucho esperar un mes o dos sin venderlas. Aún así tengo que decir que me advirtieron que no las pidiera y que me esperara a Septiembre para hacerlo.

El resto más o menos lo podéis imaginar. Para no liarla demasiado (porque yo ya sabía que se iba a liar) decidí venderlas en un hilo en WOS y sólo fuera de España. Y sí, sé que esto sienta como el culo a los backers. Pero me he gastado un dineral gastado en ZX-Unos (140 en concreto) y dentro de 4 meses nadie me garantiza que se vayan a vender. Para entonces es probable que la campaña de Next reduzca la demanda de ZX-Unos, pueden pasar muchas cosas. Disculpad si he antepuesto mis intereses económicos a los intereses de los backers. Si puedo compensar a los backers de alguna forma, lo intentaré. La historia es larga y compleja. Sé que ahora soy el malo de la película. No trato de justificarme, solo cuento las cosas como han pasado lo más detalladamente posible. No soy el único que ha vendido ZX-Unos fuera del crowd, y me consta que otros como carmeloco están respetando lo de no vender hasta después de repartir los ZX-Unos del crowd.

El agravante es que soy parte del equipo del ZX-Uno y todo esto afecta a la reputación del grupo, aunque el resto no haya tenido nada que ver. Es todo responsabilidad mía. Si este proyecto fuese cerrado estas cosas no pasaban. Si conocéis algún proyecto de este tipo con la licencia tan abierta me lo decís. Los de MiST no publican los diseños de la PCB ni los gerbers. Los de Next prometen que será abierto, pero de momento sólo publican binarios de los cores y del firmware. El ZX-Uno fue abierto desde el primer día. Yo trataré que siga siendo igual de abierto que ahora. Mi intención es que hubiese un clon de spectrum a precio asequible, si se populariza es posible que dentro de unos años lo encontremos en aliexpress a 30 euros. Los responsables somos personas normales con trabajos normales que le dedican ratos de su tiempo libre. La asociación no tiene ánimo de lucro, y yo hasta el momento de pedir estos ZX-Unos por mi cuenta tampoco lo tenía.

Uto

Mensaje por Uto » 25 May 2016, 23:36

Antonio, why don't you just sell and charge now for those additional ZXUnos, and deliver them when the crowdfunding ones are delivered?. I'm sure most potential buyers would agree on that, and it would be fair for all, while saving your investment. Just my two cents.
Última edición por Uto el 25 May 2016, 23:45, editado 2 veces en total.

Cerrado